[PSUBS-MAILIST] Programing Options For GUI

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 29 06:32:10 EDT 2019

Jon, or anyone else with an opinion.
Have started learning Python to program a Raspberry Pi  for controlling functions
& displaying information on a GUI (touch screen).
Jon, in general I am wanting to do similar to what you have done with your
"submarine control manager" but different in a lot of aspects.
There are a few options I have been looking at for creating the GUI.
The first is Tkinter, but I am hearing that it's a bit old school. One advantage though
is that there is a lot of resources available in the way of written code for various
applications, instruction & help.
The second is PysimpleGUI . https://pysimplegui.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial/#what-is-a-gui
but this may be a bit simple & limited.
The third is Pyqt5 with qt designer. The designer lets you drag & drop widgets
& relieves you of a lot of code writing. This combination seems the best option
so far.
I am not sure to what degree I can customise the widgets in the various programs;
for instance, can I create a compass or image of a submarine. I am keen to have
some contemporary looking graphics but I may be stuck with what they provide.
Have tried to find out if the program's support any sort of huge library of pre made
open source widgets that I can use, but have only heard reference to a small basic
list of widgets.
I did learn photoshop from an 800 page book, so not scared of a learning curve
however I am only learning for this project at this stage.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Alan