[PSUBS-MAILIST] Q-Sub

Hugh Fulton via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Thu Aug 22 17:56:05 EDT 2019

David,

Oh dear.  Naughty Cliff.  Methinks deliberately lighting a fire under me to get it finished.  Again he is always right.

I had engaged ABS consultant but he was not the right guy. Wanting to milk me.  Also he fell out with some others he consulted for.  Had the PVHO build supervised and tested with SGS  3rd party witnessing.  All the vessels designed to ASME.  Design FEA done to ABS  compliance by same guy who did Paul Collins’ sub.  Windows stamped Lloyds from UK. This is prototype, so not certified but if I ever get a sale then I would get full certification.  I also visited and had GL on board at the design phase.  I have a test chamber good for 400 psi and could squeeze out 1000 ft.  I tested at 520 ft for 400 ft working.  ABS wanted dual cert for sub and high speed surface craft.  GL one cert for both.

The biggest thing I learnt was that for certification it is much easier to get OTS components already certified rather than having unique designs.  I would have an issue with arguing for sitting on the batteries even though they are LiFePO4 ones.  Lloyds will no longer do this type of thing and only handle navy and oil field work.  ABS are still the best bet for commercial but Swiss GL through Carsten Standfuss is the most cost effective.  Quotes for 3rd party start at 200k .  Any queries at $400 / hr.

Toughest project I have done.   Would have been a lot smarter if I had consulted Cliff and Vance.  Hugh