[PSUBS-MAILIST] O2 Sensing

Mon Aug 19 23:57:56 EDT 2019

A minimum indicating accuracy of +/- 0.015 bar corresponds to 0.014804 standard atmospheres. It is odd that they specify this in terms of pressure instead of percentage for analysis, but I guess you could have a cabin pressure which is not standard. Anyway, you are correct in that is is ~1.5% of a standard atmosphere, but that seems coarse for an oxygen analysis. If I'm more than 1% off of target when mixing gases for diving, I dump the gas and start over. Of course, the consequences are less severe in a 1 atm space. My analyzer reads to 0.1% ( ~0.001 bar), but sufficient accuracy shouldn't be difficult to hit with any electronic system. Even an 8-bit ADC will give you 0.4% resolution. 12 bit gets you 0.025%.

Where does your 18% figure for the low oxygen limit come from? I wouldn't be comfortable with allowing the oxygen to drop that low - particularly with sensor error that could be as much as 2% FS. I'd probably set my low alarm at 19%, giving normoxic +/- 2% as the alarm points, and might set caution alerts at 20 and 22.

As far as calibrating the readout, at minimum you require a two-point calibration in order to set zero (offset) and span (gain). I use pure helium, but argon, nitrogen etc. also work. With a 0% oxygen gas flow, adjust the zero so that the readout is zero. Then flow air (20.95%) and adjust the span accordingly. You then need to double check the zero point again to ensure that the offset hasn't moved with the new gain. If it has, just repeat the procedure. More complicated calibrations with greater numbers of points are possible (linear regression, linearization table, etc.), but likely not worth the effort in this application.

Sesn