[PSUBS-MAILIST] Optical Oxygen Sensors

Mon Aug 19 10:04:15 EDT 2019

A true calibration should encompass the range limits of the sensor, because interpolation between calibration points can still be considered valid data, whereas when extrapolating beyond them, you can't accurately characterize the error. With a 0%-100% sensor, this is easy, as you can calibrate at 0 (inert gas), 20.9 (atmospheric air) and 100% (oxygen). To calibrate a 0%-25% sensor, you either need to source a highly accurate reference standard gas at 25%, or calibrate at 0 and 20.9 only and extrapolate beyond, which would not, strictly speaking, be a traceable / reportable value.

Sean