[PSUBS-MAILIST] Flathead Lake Expedition

Sat Aug 10 21:00:04 EDT 2019

After loading my truck to the gills with diving equipment and gas cylinders, I encountered a bit of red tape while crossing into the US. I was underway about 40 minutes later though, only to become a victim of blindly trusting Google maps to pick the best route to Flathead Lake - the scenic route along a windy narrow high mountain road, packed with tourists. In order to avoid contacting the rock face on the uphill side, I often had to cross the road centerline, so it was a good hour of white knuckle driving in a truck overloaded with dangerous goods. Armed with that knowledge, I found a better route for the trip back.

Anyway, had a great week at FLBS, primarily as SOC for the R-300 on Joseph Crepeau's Boston Whaler, which turned out to be a great platform for that sort of support. Thanks to everyone who participated, and in particular, those who put forth a tremendous effort in planning and executing this expedition. The lake is a beautiful spot - I had never visited Montana before, and the FLBS facilities were really well suited to our needs.

I learned quite a bit about both participating subs, which is always useful, and the deep diving / rescue gear never had to get wet, which is the best possible outcome. I attached one of my dive computers to Nekton Gamma on Thursday, and managed to capture all of her dive profiles that day, which I intend to create a video overlay from. Stay tuned for those clips - David Columbo is doing a lot of work to filter all of the captured footage and polish the best bits.

Was great to see old acquaintances again, and make new ones. And yes, it's only appropriate that I represent team Canada on the next trip.

Going to sleep for a couple of days now.

Sean