[PSUBS-MAILIST] onboard gear

Douglas Suhr via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 24 02:22:08 EDT 2019

I do not speak with the same authority as Steve (being an experienced
technical diver and all) but in my own opinion, the idea of bailing out of
a sub at ANY depth seems crazy. In my own mind, I've always likened U/W
escape to wearing a parachute while flying in an airplane. Yes,
theoretically in some situations it will save you, but practically speaking
it seems like more of a false sense of security than a practical solution
for survival. Then again, if your situation is so dire that you're about to
die anyway, might as well give it a shot. Personally, I would rather
believe someone on the surface is going to be able to perform a rescue with
lift bags where I can get back to the surface dry. ~ Doug

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 12:13 AM Stephen Fordyce via Personal_Submersibles <