[PSUBS-MAILIST] onboard gear

TOM WHENT via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 22 22:24:42 EDT 2019

As a rebreather and technical diver and gas blending technician I feel qualified to comment on this.

Heliox 16 would be a poor choice due to expense and O2 content that is borderline at the surface. It would be toxic at 350 ft depth when inspired under ambient pressure and could produce a seizure without warning.

Most deep divers would use a trimix gas of nitrogen , oxygen and helium in varying percentages to sustain life and avoid narcosis. It would have to be tailored specifically for the maximum depth as well as take into consideration your intended purpose of breathing it to the surface.

The trouble is that oxygen becomes toxic when breathed at elevated partial pressures and the first warning of this could be a seizure. Generally these are not survivable when submerged on scuba. Cause of death is inevitably drowning.

Without getting too deep into the gas laws governing this,  what this means to you is that for dives of this depth one gas mix is not sufficient. For example a safe oxygen mix at 350ft would contain 13% oxygen or less. The problem arises when ascending to the surface because 13% oxygen will produce unconsciousness there. This is because of the reduced partial pressure from lower ambient pressure which affects the ability to transport oxygen into the body..

In the technical diving world we cross this bridge in one of two ways.

1) using separate cylinders of gas for different phases of the dive... ie travel mix and bottom mix (deco mix also but this would be irrelevant to this discussion)

2) using a closed circuit rebreather which blends the gas on- the-fly to maintain optimal oxygen partial pressure for the depth. These are very expensive and require far more training than open circuit scuba.

I don't have an easy solution to your problem,  but can say that when escaping from that depth, you cannot safely use the same breathing gas without exposing yourself to extreme risk of drowning.

16 percent oxygen is considered the minimum  to sustain life at the surface and can be used safely to a depth of 297 fsw (or 10 atmospheres.)

An acceptable level of narcosis would be achieved by augmenting this with 57% helium, leaving the balance as nitrogen (27%)

The narcosis benchmark used would be an 80 ft depth equivalent exposure using air.

Realistically 300ft is the deepest you would want to go with one gas, and even that is not ideal. Beyond that all bets are off.

Something else to consider is that in a bailout situation, your ambient breathing air inside the sub could become toxic as pressure inside is increased to equalize to ambient pressure. You would need to be breathing your escape gas at that point.  Compressed air becomes toxic at a depth of approximately 218 ft.

I hope this helps! 🤪

If you have any questions of this nature,  I'll do my best to help.

Tom

Get Outlook for Android

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 8:58 PM -0400, "Alan via Personal_Submersibles" <personal_submersibles at psubs.org> wrote:

Sean,Yes, I'd rather make it to the surface than die intoxicated in the sub.I think every sub would have to develop their own equations for escapingat varying depths. The k250s & 350s could formulate a best scenario forescape for those classes of submersibles.Also in the equation is how fast you'd make it to the surface. A conventionallife jacket would crush at a decent depth, the inflatable ones wouldn'tInflate much against the water pressure.We have previously discussed drogues that are harnessed under your armsand provide air for breathing, but that's only a solution for 1 passenger.Alan