[PSUBS-MAILIST] onboard gear

Alec Smyth via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Mon Apr 22 15:36:05 EDT 2019

Greg Cottrell once pointed out something that had been non-obvious to me in
connection with bailouts from shallow-diving subs like ours - just how big
the seacock needs to be to flood the sub quickly enough. Imagine you had a
little ball valve of about the diameter of a garden hose. Now lets say you
are hung up at 140 feet and need to bail. The ambient pressure is 60 psi,
which happens to be the normal pressure for household plumbing. Therefore,
your sub would take as long to fill up as it would if you opened the hatch
while it was parked on your driveway and stuck the garden hose in. I'm not
sure how long that is, and it will depend on the volume of your cabin, but
surely it's way past the 10 minute no-decompression time for 140 feet. The
bottom line is PSUB seacocks need to be very generously sized because we
dive shallow. Shackleton's is 3".

Best,
Alec

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 2:39 PM Rick Patton via Personal_Submersibles <