[PSUBS-MAILIST] SubConn BH4F and IL4M Connectors

Fri Apr 12 18:14:46 EDT 2019

It isn't strictly necessary to fuse both terminals under ordinary conditions.  Doing so just extends the fault tolerance of the electrical system.  A single fuse or breaker on either leg at the battery will protect against a DC high current short provided the fuse is in series somewhere in that short circuit.  In a grounded electrical system, such as most automotive systems which have the battery negative terminal connected directly to the vehicle chassis, you actually can't fuse the negative side because if that negative fuse blows before the positive side fuse, then you still have a return current path through installed equipment such as radios etc., and that smaller wiring could start a fire if subjected to short circuit current.  In the floating system (marine systems), the second fuse is permissible.

Fusing both legs provides protection for shorts which might occur at the terminals themselves, or at the bus bars or main feeders which exist between the battery bank terminals and the circuit breaker / fuse box.  If your battery shifts, or your sustain a seawater leak, for example, which produces a fault right at the positive terminal in off-board battery pods, the negative side fuse would protect the vessel in the event of a second fault.  The only condition which is not protected by this configuration is a fault directly between terminals or bus bars / mains between the battery and the protection devices.  If you are using circuit breakers instead of fuses, you want a breaker which interrupts both leads in response to a failure of either one.

A non-grounded, or floating, electrical system is inherently single-fault tolerant, because any short between one battery terminal (positive or negative) and your hull will not cause current flow.  You actually need two simultaneous failures (or a bridge between potentials) for a high current fault to occur, which provides for the ability to continuously monitor continuity between each potential and the hull, and throw an alarm to indicate the presence of such a single fault.  The fuses or circuit breakers provide protection for the double-fault, and if you have a triple fault, you're going to have a bad day.

Sean