[PSUBS-MAILIST] pulled thread line - submarine AC and heat

Alan via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Wed Apr 3 16:04:51 EDT 2019

Brian,
I have done a bit of experimentation with cooling other components like
large LEDs & high powered mosfets, & certainly water is the best option.
If the peltiers are mounted against the hull tightly & below the water line I don't
think an external heat sink would be necessary.
With the LEDs it is important to screw them tight to a smooth flat
heat sink with a smear of heat transfer paste, or they burn out pretty quickly.
Good point about the paint. Depending on how thick it is. If you have an
Infrared thermometer ( great tool) you (or I ) could measure the cool side
of the peltier against a painted & unpainted metal surface. I will hunt around
& see what scraps of metal I have.
The cold side should be less cold if the heat is not being transferred from the other side.
   Alec says that he doesn't think anything would have had much impact on
the high temperatures generated in the sub. Perhaps some sort of exostructure
or fibreglass shell that protects the hull from direct sunlight. Or reflective
paint top side?
Alan