[PSUBS-MAILIST] K350 motors and housings - available

Tue Apr 2 14:33:09 EDT 2019

The problem with refrigerants in confined spaces, and this is true both of HFC-134a and the environmentally friendly(er) alternatives, such as HFO-1234yf, is that they release extremely toxic decomposition products in the event of fire. Of course, any fire is going to compromise your atmosphere, so this may be a moot point, but it's something to consider. HFC-134a has low acute toxicity, but is not strictly a simple inert asphyxiant. A 1 hour EEGL exposure limit recommendation that I managed to find for HFC-134a is 4,000 ppm.

In a 72 cu. ft. volume, assuming a starting FO2 of 20.9%, you could add a full 7 cu. ft. of simple asphyxiant gas before the cabin FO2 dropped to 19%. Death likely wouldn't occur due to hypoxia above 16% FO2, but you won't be accomplishing much with oxygen that low. 19.0% to 19.5% are typical occupational limits for oxygen deficient atmospheres.

That said, hypoxia is not the only risk as I pointed out. I would consider the health effects from inhalation exposure and keep to recommended exposure limits. For maximum safety, I might be inclined to separate refrigerants from occupied spaces by means of a water / propylene glycol heat exchanger circuit, but of course this will affect your energy budgets.

Sean