[PSUBS-MAILIST] DNVGL

via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Sat Oct 21 20:04:50 EDT 2017

Sean,

The positive has 4 fuses in the box (4 legs) in the case one leg fails you still have power and in the case of a dead short prior to the breakers that the fuse will blow. Once the cable penetrates the hull it goes to a double pole breaker then distributed from there. The negative is a single cable with one fuse and once it penetrates the hull it goes to a double pole breaker and distributed from there.

I completely agree the shielding of the battery cables is a good idea because of strength of the cable and to help if the insolation is cut by something. The part where I struggle with is why ground the shield of the battery cables to the hull? The only thing that could make sense is fault indication on the battery main cable. Is that the reason?

Thank you,
Scott Waters