[PSUBS-MAILIST] innertube compensator

Alan James via Personal_Submersibles personal_submersibles at psubs.org
Tue Jan 13 14:53:37 EST 2015

Hank,I used the inner tube when I was experimenting with compensatingabsorbed glass mat batteries. I had two plumbing fittings in the top of the batterywith the section of inner tube with a valve in it clamped between them.I had the battery & tube full of baby oil (scented mineral oil). I then pumped upthe inner tube to keep an over pressure in the battery.There was something, either the chemicals added to the mineral oil , or the mineraloil, or battery acid & gasses that might have mixed with the mineral oil that caused the inner tube to melt in a relatively short time.Another messy experiment that didn't work. I suggest soaking a section of inner tube in the compensating fluid & checking it occasionally.Alan